(The Nicola de la Haye Series Book 2)
by Rachel Elwiss Joyce
Some characters stay with you long after you've turned the final page, and Nicola de la Haye is certainly one of them. Revisiting her story in 'Lady of the Castle' felt like catching up with an old friend, albeit one living through some of the most turbulent years of medieval England. Rachel Elwiss Joyce has written a sequel that is every bit as absorbing, emotional, and beautifully researched as I had hoped.
Set between 1185 and 1199, the novel follows Nicola de la Haye through one of the most turbulent decades of her life. England is entering a period of political uncertainty as Richard the Lionheart prepares to leave for the Third Crusade, while Prince John's ambitions begin to cast a shadow over the kingdom. Yet, while history provides the backdrop, it is the people caught up in these events who make this novel so unforgettable.
Nicola remains as compelling as ever. She carries enormous responsibility as Constable of Lincoln Castle while also trying to protect the people she loves. What I admire most about Nicola is that, despite everything expected of her, she always feels completely real. She is courageous, but she also questions herself, grieves deeply, and carries the weight of every decision she makes. Those quieter moments reveal just as much about her character as the more dramatic events.
Gerard was probably the character who surprised me the most. His struggles with loyalty, faith, family, and honour make for a compelling storyline, and I found myself becoming more invested in him with every chapter. He is a complex character, and never once did I feel I knew exactly where his path would lead.
I was equally delighted to spend more time with the younger generation. Tilly has grown into such a gentle, thoughtful young woman, and her friendship with Ged brings warmth and hope to the story. Turstin's storyline touched me deeply. His struggles with guilt and his search for purpose create some of the novel's most emotional moments, and I found myself rooting for him throughout.
One of the things I enjoyed most was the way every character has an important part to play. No one feels as though they are simply passing through the story. Bella's storyline is handled with great sensitivity, while the experiences of York's Jewish community add another powerful dimension to the novel. Their lives, fears, and resilience are woven naturally into the wider narrative, reminding us of the dangers of prejudice and intolerance without ever losing sight of the individuals behind the history.
Bishop Hugh quickly became one of my favourite characters. His wisdom, compassion, and quiet strength make him a reassuring presence whenever he appears. Some of the conversations he shares with the other characters are among the most thoughtful in the novel, and I always found myself looking forward to his next appearance.
The historical detail is, as I have come to expect from Joyce, exceptional. Twelfth-century England comes vividly to life, from Lincoln Castle and the rebuilding of the cathedral to monasteries, villages, royal courts, and the political uncertainty surrounding Richard's absence. It is obvious that an enormous amount of research has gone into every page, yet it never overwhelms the story. Instead, the history feels completely natural, allowing the characters to remain at the centre of everything.
I particularly enjoyed the balance between the larger political events and the more personal stories unfolding alongside them. There are sieges, shifting alliances, royal rivalries, and moments of genuine danger, but there are also friendships, family bonds, quiet acts of courage, forgiveness, and hope. More than once, it was those quieter moments that stayed with me long after I had finished reading.
I also have to mention the structure of the novel. At first glance, seeing seventy-three chapters and an epilogue made me wonder whether it might feel too fragmented. Instead, the shorter chapters work brilliantly. They keep the story moving at exactly the right pace, and I constantly found myself thinking, 'Just one more chapter,' only to discover I had read several more. Every chapter feels purposeful, and the pacing never falters.
One of the reasons I enjoy Joyce's writing so much is the emotional connection she creates between the reader and her characters. I celebrated their successes, worried about the difficult choices they faced, and genuinely cared about what happened to them. That is always the sign of a gifted storyteller. The history may draw me to a novel, but it is the characters who made me stay.
By the final page, I wasn't ready to leave Nicola's world behind. That, to me, is the mark of truly memorable historical fiction.
'Lady of the Castle' is a superb sequel that builds upon everything I loved about the first novel while continuing to develop its memorable cast of characters. Rich in historical detail, full of emotion, and impossible to put down, this is historical fiction at its very best. Whether you are already familiar with Nicola de la Haye or are discovering her story for the first time, I wholeheartedly recommend this outstanding novel.
PRE-ORDER YOUR COPY





No comments:
Post a Comment